Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Book Review




I bought this book at Walmart. What can I tell ya? I picked it up for a plane ride. Even bad books are often tolerable while trapped in a metal tube hurtling through the sky.

I didn't get a chance to read it until I got home. I wasn't expecting too much since it appeared to be a 'straight to paperback' kind of novel. It turned out to be fairly entertaining. The book is about a doctor who performs abortions and the effects of his work on his family and community. What surprised me is the way it made me really examine my attitude about the abortion issue.

I have always been pro-choice. But, to be honest, I have been pro-choice for the 13 year old girl who gets raped by her uncle and is not physically, emotionally or financially able to have a baby. I guess I have never been pro-choice for the person who says "my life is just not suited for a baby right now". I realize how jacked up that methodology is and I also realize that a true Pro-Choice advocate would gouge their eyes out after hearing such an argument. I can't help it. I'm a Baptist and a Democrat. I'm an annoying enigma. Jesus loves me and you're just gonna have to deal with it.

Read this book if you're stuck on an airplane. Otherwise, your life won't be diminished in the least if you skip it.

No comments: