Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Wedding



Friday 8/22/08


After all of the nonsense that preceded it, the actual wedding could not have gone better. The 'brides room' at the chapel had this claw foot antique bathtub just sitting in the middle of the room. While it seemed like a completely random decorating choice, the girls had a good time posing in it for pictures which made the last few moments before the ceremony much less nerve wracking. I really have to give all the kids some credit for their behavior. It can't be easy to watch your parent marry someone other than your other parent no matter how much you approve of the union. But if they were bothered, they all hid it well.

So 5 bridesmaids, 1 best man, 1 maid of honor, 1 pastor and his wife, 1 photographer, 1 coordinator ( what needed coordinating?) and 6 guests came together and created a wonderful ceremony. Was it serene? Of course not. Nothing we do ever is or ever will be, I imagine. But it was fun.

When you have been married before, a wedding can create some complicated emotions. Unlike a first time bride, I walked down that aisle knowing what I was walking toward. And even while experiencing the joy of a new marriage, I know I will never forget the agony that a marriage ending can cause. We live in a world where people give up too easily. I said the standard vows to Kevin but this is what I meant...

"I will not give up."

Amen

No comments: