Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My Hammie



I'm not a pet person. There. I said it. It's not that I dislike animals. I like them. I really do. I'm just not the kind of person that would ever put my dog on a transplant list or consider chemotherapy treatments for one. I know pets become very important to their owners but I just don't see myself ever buying a Halloween costume for the family dog, pig, iguana, etc.

My kids, on the other hand, are pet people. Kaylee especially has been desperate for a dog for years. I try to explain to her that we are never at home and it wouldn't be fair to have a puppy that we have to keep locked in the kitchen for 13 hours every day. She seems to understand the logic of this argument but it doesn't stop her from wishing.

So last Christmas, in a desperate attempt to be "The Best Mom Evah!!!", I bought the girls a hamster. They freaked. Never have I seen such excitement on Christmas morning. My dad sat at the table grumbling... " I spent a thousand bucks on presents for them and they go crazy over a ten dollar rat." The best part is that it really solidified their belief in Santa for at least a couple more years. They believe that Santa defied my household pet ban and gifted them with this hamster despite my objections. The worst part is that as Christmas approaches this year, I know there's no way I can top that gift. After the hamster, it's all anticlimactic unless a fluffy puppy with a big red bow around it's neck wakes them up on Christmas morning.

Not. Gonna.Happen.

No comments: