Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Road Trip!

From almost the very beginning of our relationship, Kevin and I have been planning a weekend getaway. I'm happy to report that it only took ten months to make that dream a reality. Kevin had proposed lots of locales ranging from exotic to cosmopolitan. In the end, I suggested someplace a little closer to home. My babysitting arrangements are always tenuous, at best, so Kevin rented this sweet little ride and we headed south to Huntsville, AL.

Our first stop was lunch with Kevin's friends, Kevin and Lara, and their two sons. Now I have a lot of experience with cake, but I have to say that this place served the biggest piece of chocolate cake I have ever seen. It was gi-damn-normous. And, yes, everyone got cake but me and none of them could finish it. Amateurs...

Later that afternoon,after we checked in at the hotel, we had a visit with Kevin's dad and stepmom. It was a perfectly painless meeting and I felt a little foolish for being nervous beforehand. My social unease manifests itself in such crazy ways. I spent most of the visit trying not blurt out "Hey lady, why do you have framed pictures of cats on your end tables?" I really did want to know.

Late in the afternoon, we toured Twickenham , a fabulous little community full of unique,old houses. Kevin drove very patiently while I pointed and exclaimed "Look at that roof"; "Look at that rose bush"; "I love that porch" and other sparkling and witty observations.



I also got a guided tour of some of the most (in)famous landmarks from Kevin's high school and college days. The best part about this kind of thing , early in a relationship, is that all these stories are new to me. I envision a day, many years from now, when I will shake my head in exasperation and wonder how many friggin times he will tell me that that shopping center used to be an empty field :)

Saturday night, we had dinner with Kevin's high school buddy, Lisa, and her husband Bryant. It was the most fun I have had in a very long time. As I was the only "non-alumni" in the group, I expected to feel left out by the ubiquitous "Remember when..." conversations. Luckily, after four margaritas, I can't remember what school I graduated from, so it worked out fine.

Sunday morning, I slept til 10AM. I have not slept that late since Savannah was born 9 years ago. It was fantastic! We had a long lunch with more of Kevin's old friends before heading home.

I think the trip was definitely worth the wait. Here are just a few lessons that this long needed trip taught me:

1 - I really need to get out more often.
2 - Alabama has the most random billboards imaginable.
3 - Hotel coffee sucks monkey.

No comments: