Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bible Tuesday - Revelation Part 5

Write this to Ephesus, to the Angel of the church. The One with Seven Stars in his right-fist grip, striding through the golden seven-lights’ circle, speaks:
“I see what you’ve done, your hard, hard work, your refusal to quit. I know you can’t stomach evil, that you weed out apostolic pretenders. I know your persistence, your courage in my cause, that you never wear out.
Revelation 2:1-3

Jesus gives his first message to the church at Ephesus. You know what I love about this verse?  "I see what you've done."  For all you Christians out there working yourself to a nub every day and three times on Sunday...Jesus sees what you do.  But this next part is gonna get all up in your business. 

 "I know you can't stomach evil, that you weed out apostolic pretenders."  I feel like I am expected to 'stomach evil' about 28 times a day.  Frankly, it gets on my nerves.  This is not about loving the sinner and hating the sin.  This is not about self righteous tolerance.  It's pretty simple really.  What is your reaction to evil?  Do you shrug your shoulders and say 'times have changed' or 'kids these days'.  Do you rant about it to anyone who will listen?  Do you ignore it?   (This is my personal response lately.  I am in a season that will probably last forever where I am trying to focus on MY sin so I am ignoring your sin...or trying to.) And hear me on this.  I am not suggesting that we all get signs made and head out to join Westboro Baptist Church.  But Jesus is speaking here.  And He is commending the church for not stomaching evil.  But do we even know what evil is anymore?  Could we define it?

“But you walked away from your first love—why? What’s going on with you, anyway? Do you have any idea how far you’ve fallen? A Lucifer fall!
Revelation 2:4-5

Have you ever known a brand new Christian who came to Christ as an adult?  They are just precious.  (I was one ...so I know.)  There is this period right after salvation where everything makes complete sense (mostly because you don't know anything.)  The Bible is just one sweet revelation after another.  And Jesus is so real in your life that the Holy Spirit just oozes out of you.  You don't really question anything.  You don't try to figure out whether Greek verb conjugation changes the meaning of a certain scripture.  You don't worry about the gnostic gospels.  You hardly ever think about Mary Magdalene.  (Non-Christians are obsessed with this particular Mary.  It's super goofy.)  And you look up to people who have Christian seniority and you want to emulate them.  They memorize scripture...chapter and verse... and quote it all the dang time.  They pray for ONE HOUR every day.  They never roll their eyes during a sermon.  11 years after my salvation I know a lot of scripture but I can never remember what book it came out of.  (I generally know if Jesus said something but I never know which gospel.  And if it isn't Jesus, I generally just default to Paul.  9 out of 10 times this works.)  I tried desperately to pray for an hour but I kept falling alseep.  Do you remember how cute it was to watch one of your kids fall asleep at the dinner table?  I just assume Jesus feels that way about me so I quit trying so hard.  And after all these years, I still roll my eyes during a sermon if the need arises.  My pastor is just a man.  He knows it.  I know it. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with examining and questioning your faith.  But this first love that Jesus is talking about?  I think that is just stone cold belief.  I just believe that Jesus is who he says he is.  I just believe what he says about me.  It's not about stagnating in your Christian life or not maturing.  But if your faith is not rooted in belief,  you won't grow.

No comments: