Thursday, June 2, 2011

Book Review - The Art of Racing In The Rain



My neighbor loaned me this book. I put it in the closet and proceeded to forget all about it. Then, she kept asking me about it. Not in a "when am I gonna get my book back" kind of way but in a "I can't wait for you to experience the awesome" kind of way. So I read it.

It's a short book and it's awfully easy to read. It's written from the point of view of Enzo the dog. I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever read a book narrated by a dog before.

Enzo's owner is having kind of a bad life. He marries, has a child and then his life goes to crap. His wife dies, his inlaws bankrupt him trying to take custody of the child.

Also, the guy is a race car driver which explains the title. I think there is supposed to be some kind of heavy metaphor involved here but I never could figure it out. If you read it, let me know what I missed.

I actually finished this book at the pool. A woman sitting near me saw it and had to gush about how much she had loved reading it. I'm just not sure I get her enthusiasm. I liked the book but I don't think I will be discussing it with strangers anytime soon. Maybe you have to really, really like dogs.

No comments: