Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Book Review - Unbroken



First, let me admit that I often go overboard about books I enjoy. That being said...

OMG!!!I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!! IT IS BETTER THAN (FILL IN BLANK WITH BEST THING YOU CAN THINK OF)!!!

I just put this book on my library hold list because it was wildly popular on Amazon and it had over a thousand 5 star reviews. I never read Seabiscuit (although now I'm gonna) and I knew absolutely nothing about the subject of this book.

Unbroken is the story of Louie Zamperini. Louie is an track star Olympic hopeful who serves in WWII. The following items are not *Spoilers*. From the beginning, you know that Louie is going to survive. But as you read, you just can't figure out how he can possibly live through all this stuff. Louie's plane gets shot down over the Pacific. He survives...on a raft... for 40 something days. That story alone would make a great book. Then he is rescued by the Japanese. He is put into several POW camps. Apparently POW camps are about 6 trillion times worse than I ever imagined. After he returns to the US, he goes a little crazy and becomes an alcoholic. I assure you, you will not even blame Loiuie for these things.

After all this something truly wonderful happens. Let me try to set this up.
1. This book is secular. It may be described as 'inspirational' but it's not a Christian book. 2. The stories of Louie's childhood and war service take up about 85% of the book. I explain this so you will know that I was just expecting a few last pages to tell about Louie's post war life. I had no inkling that a Jesus moment was waiting for me. But then, I saw this name :

BILLY GRAHAM!!!

Yep. After an amazing life (that honestly you will not believe)a depressed, alcoholic, PTSD suffering Louie gets dragged to one of Billy Graham's Los Angeles Crusades by his wife (who was planning to divorce him.)

Let me tell you something. I don't care if you are Satan's secretary. You will not be able to read this story and not be overwhelmed by the power of God.

If this book doesn't change you, I don't know what will. It is simply the best story I have read in forever. I beg of you. Go buy this book and read it. Then let me have the joy of saying "I told you so."

No comments: