Monday, April 4, 2011

Losing my religion

I never wanted to leave my old church. When Kevin and I married, I felt it was obviously important for us to worship together as a family. My church was over a half hour drive from my new home so it seemed like a 'no-brainer' to attend the church where Kevin and his family had been attending. Other than my constant social idiocy, the early days went fine. Everyone there was ridiculously nice to me and the kids. The children's ministry leader was an absolute Godsend. I passed one year there due mainly to her great work with my children.

But I could never be happy there. If you know me, then you know that I think happiness is generally overrated. I wouldn't have moved my family from a church just because I was unhappy. So I tried really hard to make it work. I got involved in Precept Bible Study. My rationale was that if I wasn't getting hardcore bible teaching at church, I could just get it elsewhere. This backfired on me in a big way. The more I 'fed' myself in bible study and small groups outside of church, the more I realized that I was spiritually starving while at church. That's not the way it is supposed to be.

I don't think the church we just left is a bad place. Far from it. It's full of great people who I believe genuinely love the Lord. But the root of my discontent was simple. I just don't want to worship service. Let me be clear here. I believe anyone who loves God will want and need to serve His people. But service can't be your god. I need a church where God has first place. Where worship is a corporate event integral to each week's service. I need a church where the bible is important.
"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness."
2 Timothy 3:16

You can believe this or not. But if you don't believe it, we probably aren't going to be able to attend the same church. It doesn't make your church 'bad' and mine 'good'. But it does mark an important distinction between us.

Changing churches is not a decision I treat lightly. I kinda never want to do this again actually.

No comments: