Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Confession

I am a reader.

It's a big part of how I define myself. I spent so much time at the library when I was a teen that my parents were convinced I had a secret boyfriend there. Which, of course, I didn't...unless you count Mr Darcy. I spent most of my high school years nurturing an obsession with Henry James. My senior term paper was about Thomas Hardy.

That being said...I have only read four books since September. Wanna take a guess as to what I read?




The kids gave me the Twilight books for my birthday. I'm not gonna lie. I asked for them. And, then, as I always do, I became obsessed with reading them. I read a ton of books that no one would consider to be great literature. I'm no book snob. I will read almost anything except trashy romance novels. I can even tolerate mediocre writing if the story and characters are good.

The Twilight books have a great story that feels really original. I know vampires don't seem original but the author turns all the stories upside down and really creates a whole new mythology. It's strange but none of the books are scary or gross. I really would have no problem with my little girls reading them. I assumed that they would be filled with sex and violence since they are so popular with teenagers. Apparently kids today are just more mature than I was.

So go ahead and read these books. It's not as good as Shakespeare, it's not as bad as Danielle Steele. It's like birthday cake...nutritionally deficient but totally delicious.

No comments: